Professionnalization of the date palms climbers
Main actions and expected results
►Professionnalize by the legal recognition
The occupation of worker of the date palm , especially when exercised in an independent capacity, needs legal recognition, which opens the right to social cover, under conditions adapted to reality.
- Socio-economic survey on work in the palm plantation carried out in the 3 wilayates (Adrar, El Oued, Ouargla);
- Study of the current legal offer
→ A legal framework project. A bill is drafted in a participatory framework.
► Professionnalize by training
This pilot process is organized in 4 steps:
- Preliminary study of training needs
- Participatory workshop to elaborate a proposition for a training program
- Technical workshop for the development of the training repository
- Design, test and evaluation of a training program
→A training program
→ 9 trained trainers
→ 90 trained date palm climbers
In a long-term perspective, training must be constantly fed by scientific and technical research. This training program is complemented by a study on research needs and the organization of a meeting of researchers and date palm growers and climbers, in order to launch participatory research projects.
► Professionnalize by the modernization of the tools
Two activities contribute to this modernization:
- Exchanges with European pruners on practices and tools;
> To know more : First phase realized in the spring of 2018
- Collective testing and validation of modern tools involving economic operators so that the validated tools are available on the market.
→ Twenty tools tested and evaluated by practitioners.
► Professionnalize by the structuration
The project encourages palm workers to organize themselves into service companies and professional associations.
- Development and dissemination of awareness materials;
- Radio communication training to disseminate information relating to the profession;
- Business Formation, Economic Interest Groups and Professional Associations;
- Supporting device for project carriers.
→ 60 date palm growers introduced to business creation and Economic Interest Group and 60 introduced to the création of association
→ Support device for project carriers (Adrar, El Oued, Ouargla)